Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Sweet Moments of Childhood

Tonight was one of those moments you don't want to forget, not for its great importance, but for its simplicity and sweetness.

As I was giving Paige her bath, I sat on the edge of the tub and put my feet in the water with her. She was playing with bathtub "fingerpaints" that smelled like strawberries.

So, I squeezed some paint on her arms, and her tummy. She was rubbing it and playing with it. Then I put some on my own legs, and she began to trace little shapes and circles in the paint on my leg. She was so delicate and gentle, and was jabbering in that tiny little voice of hers as she did it.

She'd play in it; wash it off, put some more on, and just smile and "talk" with me.

And then she did the cutest thing - she lifted one of her legs out of the water and put it on the edge of the tub, and "painted" her legs too. It was so cute to see her so intent in what she was doing, and just so very content; not a care in the world.

It was one of those moments of parenthood that you cherish, and want to freeze in time.

I always feel so physically connected to Paige. When she falls asleep in my arms, our breathing is in sync with one another--we take the exact same breaths, in and out, as if we are still one.

I loved our Mommy and Paige time tonight; after her bath we rubbed lotion on her legs and feet, and arms, and dressed her all up in her little penguin pj's. She sat still for 20 minutes while I brushed her hair until it was almost dry.

And then came and just sat on my lap with a big contented smile on her face until she fell asleep.

Heaven, I tell you. Pure Heaven.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Betsy....that was pure heaven. To me, the most incredible moments of my life have been moments just as you savored last night...so pure, simple, perfect!

I think I can smell the strawberries all the way here!

Thanks for sharing this tender moment,,,,I loved it.

Debra said...

Thanks so much for sharing that...I sometimes feel guilty for not just putting Hope in bed and letting her learn to fall asleep, but I so enjoy those mommy and Hope times of us just snuggling.

Monica said...

Ahhh... a special moment at a Red Light :). I simply love it. Your blog is always such a joy to read.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post, I loved it.

The Mom said...

Ohhh - I love it - pure heaven is right. I felt so peaceful reading your post. These are perfect moments, I'm so glad you shared your with us!