Monday, February 02, 2009

Still not feeling wonderful...

Paige now has a really, really bad case of thrush. She seems to get this every time her body has a "trauma" of any kind - thick, heavy white crust in her mouth. The ER doctor told me yesterday that children her age don't get it - something other doctors have told me too, but she gets it...and often enough too. If anyone has any thoughts on why that might happen, please let me know.

She is drinking a litte bit, but only milk - I imagine the juice is hurting her mouth. The last solid food she had was last Tuesday. I'm worried about her, but was told at the ER yesterday that it was just something she had to get through. She slept for nearly 36 hours straight from Saturday night to this morning - only waking up when I woke her.

She is a bit perkier today, and has been awake a few hours, so I think she is on the mend, but its a sloooowwww mend, lol...

Poor sweetie...

2 comments:

Beth said...

Sorry to hear about the thrush. I hope that it runs its course VERY quickly.

Amy said...

Emma frequently gets thrush when she's on antibiotics; the pediatrician no longers tells us that kids her age don't get it, LOL!

We've used Nystatin in the past, and it works pretty quickly, but another option is grapefruit seed extract, or GSE. Can Paige rinse out her mouth and spit? You mix it up with distilled water and rinse with it. It's amazing! I'm thinking you could dab it on, too, but it tastes pretty foul. I used it for thrush when I was pumping for Emma, and it works on yeast diaper rashes, too.

Poor baby, thrush is awful. Lots of hugs coming your way, Paige!